Best Undercounter Dishwashers
Even today, a dishwasher is still a luxury for many people. Especially young people who move into their own apartment for the first time do without a dishwasher in the kitchen for cost reasons. However, an under-counter dishwasher can be purchased at any time and make everyday life a little easier.
Below is a list of the Best Undercounter Dishwashers
What is an undercounter dishwasher and what are its special features?
As the name suggests, it is a dishwasher that is usually not freely placed in the kitchen, but can be installed under the countertop. In this respect, these devices differ from built-in dishwashers and freestanding dishwashers. The great advantage of an under-counter dishwasher is that it can be easily retrofitted into most kitchens.
This type does not have a load-bearing top. In addition, the front of the appliance remains visible after integration and does not offer any options to visually adapt the front of the appliance to the kitchen.
You will still find a recess in the lower part of the under-mount dishwasher, which creates space for the continuous skirting board of the kitchen.
Top 5 Best Undercounter Dishwashers
Best Undercounter Dishwashers
Bosch SMS24AW01G Serie 2 Freestanding Dishwasher, Decibel rating: 50, EU Acoustic Class: C
- Decibel rating: 50, EU Acoustic Class: C
- 12 place setting dishwasher: extra-spacious interior and adjustable spaces to ensure that cutlery and plates of all shapes and sizes will fit in with ease
- Eco Silence Drive: Delivering an efficient cleaning performance, by using the EcoSilence Drive for a powerful and quiet wash cycle, with a 10 year guarantee
- Multiple water protection: for optimum security against flooding
- Height Adjustable Top Basket: offers extra space, especially for tall dishes
DFS05020W 10 Place Settings Slimline Dishwasher - White
- Energy Efficiency Grade: E
- 10 Place Settings
- 5 Programmes
COMFEE' Table Top Dishwasher TD802 Compact Dishwasher with 8 Place Settings, 7 Programmes, LED Display, Delay Start and Off-peak Wash Function
- 【Compact & Stylish Design】The dishwasher's compact size (H590×W550×D500mm) means that space is no longer an issue! And its stylish & modern design will complement any kitchen styles. It can be located on a counter-top or installed in a suitably-sized cupboard
- 【Flexible Loading】With a flexible & useful racking system, COMFEE’s dishwasher can fit up to 18 categories & 97 pieces of tableware, with a maximum plate size of up to 300mm. With an 8-place setting capacity, it’s the ideal size for up to 3-5 people
- 【Simple & Intuitive】COMFEE’s dishwasher has been designed to be extremely easy to use; the control panel has simple icons for easy selection. The indicators will remind you to refill rinse aid & dishwasher salt in time, ensuring excellent cleaning results every time
- 【Delay Start Function】COMFEE’s dishwasher offers you complete flexibility, as well as a great performance. With the option to delay wash cycles between 1 to 24 hours, this convenient feature allows you to delay the start of your wash cycle to a time which suits you the most
- Dimensions (cm) - H59.5 x W50.0 x D55.0
Hotpoint HSIC3M19CUKN 10 Place Slimline Fully Integrated Dishwasher
|Energy Efficiency Class||A+|
Bosch Serie 2 Integrated Dishwasher
For whom is an undercounter dishwasher suitable?
An undermount dishwasher is suitable for retrofitting and extending a kitchen unit. The appliances can be easily installed under the kitchen countertop. Depending on the unit, only a longer worktop is then required. A separate base cabinet is not required for it. This makes an under-counter dishwasher interesting for those whose budget is tight and who want to expand their kitchen gradually.
What is the difference with built-in dishwashers?
Like a freestanding dishwasher, an undermount dishwasher has panels on the sides and, depending on the model, a cover on the top as well. In addition, the under-mount dishwasher stands on its own feet, so to speak, and can be adjusted in height. A built-in dishwasher, on the other hand, comes without panels and feet. The dimensions are more compact, so the built-in dishwasher fits into a kitchen base cabinet much like a built-in stove. The built-in dishwasher fits somewhat more harmoniously into the overall appearance of the kitchen, but it requires its own base cabinet.
|Feature||Undercounter dishwasher||Built-in dishwasher|
|Height adjustable by means of feet||+||–|
|Base cabinet necessary||–||+|
|Fitting into the overall kitchen appearance||–||+|
What are the advantages and disadvantages of undermount dishwashers compared to other types?
An undermount dishwasher is ideal if you want to add a dishwasher to the kitchen afterwards. It can be well “hidden” by a uniform countertop, so it does not stand freely in the room. In addition, if you move, you are more flexible when it comes to integrating the machine into a new kitchen.
However, as a replacement unit for a built-in dishwasher, it is suitable only to a limited extent, because of the feet and other dimensions. In order to use the under-mount dishwasher as a replacement for a built-in dishwasher, the cabinet of the built-in appliance usually has to be removed. Unfortunately, there are also few options to visually adapt the device to the kitchen.
- Not free-standing in the room due to uniform worktop
- More flexible installation options in the event of a move
- Lack of optical adaptability
- No replacement for built-in dishwasher
- No loadable top
Otherwise, undermount dishwashers hardly differ from other types. They are not limited in either rated capacity or features.
What to consider when buying?
There is little to consider when buying an undermount dishwasher. The dimensions of the device are standardized. Of course, when buying a new model, you should pay attention to the energy efficiency class and, if possible, buy a dishwasher with low energy consumption.
In addition to a sufficient nominal capacity and the appropriate interior layout, it is also important to have an aquastop function. This function, as with a washing machine, prevents flooding in the kitchen if the hose for the water supply is damaged or bursts.
What is the height of the devices?
The height of the undercounter dishwashers varies between 82 and 87 cm, depending on the model and manufacturer. This specifies the minimum height of the countertop.
Is the height adjustable?
An undermount dishwasher stands on feet that allow the height to be adjusted up and down a few centimeters. The two-piece feet are simply turned further in or out for height adjustment. This should not be a problem even for non-professionals.
What widths are available?
Undercounter dishwashers are available in two widths. Both widths are standardized.
- Standard units have a width of approx. 59.6 to 59.8 cm and require an under-counter space with a width of 60 cm
- Narrow appliances measure 45 cm in width.
Experience and tests
Before you decide on an undercounter dishwasher, you should also take into account the experiences of other consumers in your purchase decision. We have summarized these for you on the respective product pages. There you will also find information about possible tests by Stiftung Warentest and other test magazines, including test results.
How to install an undercounter dishwasher?
The installation of an undercounter dishwasher is possible without any problems even for laymen.
- If available, all that needs to be done is to remove the top cover so that the undermount dishwasher fits under the kitchen countertop.
- After that, the water connection and the drain line are connected to the corresponding connections on the kitchen wall and the tightness of the water connection is checked.
- Finally, the power plug is plugged into the socket and a quick check is made to see if the under-counter dishwasher is getting power.
- Then the dishwasher can be pushed into place. Finally, if necessary, the height of the device is adjusted with the adjustable feet.
More information about connecting a dishwasher can be found in our linked article.